The lineup for Electric Daisy Carnival Las Vegas 2013 has finally be announced and as expected Markus Schulz is officially set to play! Electric Daisy Carnival 2013 officially sold out last week before the lineup was released and we will be there the entire time covering the event.
Every couple of weeks for the past couple of months the topic of Las Vegas has come up and Markus has always responded that he has some unfinished business. That unfinished business is finishing his set that was shut down by the winds that shut down the entire festival on the second night.
If you were at or listening to the A State of Trance broadcast of Electric Daisy Carnival 2013 will remember the moment that Loops & Tings was interrupted by the announcement from Markus Schulz stating that the night was shutting down. It didn’t seem real at all but anyone who was there likely remembers how the speakers and stage setup were swaying in the wind. The initial announcement was that it was just going to shut down for an hour but it ended up being the whole night. He went on to play on the radio broadcast of A State of Trance that night before going out to play a surprise set on the Art Car for those who stuck around.
Stay tuned, there’s sure to be a pool party announced as well with Markus Schulz. In 2012 he played at Tao Beach with Ferry Corsten for over six hours. Ferry Corsten is on the lineup as well. New World Punx at a pool party? Let’s pray to the trance God’s!
Loops & Tings is rarely an opening tune but in our opinion it’d be a great tune to start with since that’s where we left off.
On the eve of the Scream Bus Tour there was a twitter question and answer session with Markus Schulz and just like the last one, below is a round up of what was discussed. It’s nowhere near as long but just as informative.
When asked about any surprises for Boston he said, “I have a couple of things I’ve been holding back on to debut on the tour.”
It was confirmed that the June 29, 2013 set in Toronto will definitely be open to close. The club announcement and flyer only said “marathon set” which had some people skeptical that it would be a true open to close. This will be the first open to close in the Canadian city.
Someone asked, on a scale of 1 to David Hasselhoff, how excited are you to finally be doing a marathon set in Toronto June 29th? Markus replied, “I ran faster than the Hoff in his red speedos when I found out.” Get that vision in and out of your head now?
How deep will the rabbit hole go in Toronto? The answer, “as long as plenty hang around then we’ll go deep as we want.” I’ve been to The Guvernment a lot in the past almost 13 years and it can get dark in the early morning hours. The lights go down and the lasers go on.
You know where he hasn’t played an open to close yet? New York City. He said, “that’s one of my top priorities to finally accomplish – open to close in NYC.”
Will he play until 10am on May 11 at Avalon in LA? “As long as plenty of you guys are down to hang, then we’ll go as long as possible.” He also said that he’ll be playing at least 6 hours.
Didn’t get tickets for that Avalon gig? No worries. “They only sell half as presales, so get there early on the night and you can get in.”
On the topic of open to close sets he was asked about Ruby Skye open to close in 2013 and the reply was, “I owe the SF crew an open to close after Superbowl night. Got to make it happen.”
Markus will not be at Electric Daisy Carnival New York but there is a possibility of Electric Zoo.
Most memorable festival show? “EDC Vegas last year was so unpredictable, but it was a night I’ll be telling stories about for years to come.”
Speaking of Vegas. Will he be at Electric Daisy Carnival 2013 in Las Vegas? I think it’s safe to say that’ll be a yes. He was asked if he may be returning and the reply was, “we have unfinished business, the wind will not win.”
How was the Chicago gig on April 5, 2013? “Amazing. Sold out and arguably best ever gig in the city. Can’t wait to come back and do it all again at EDC.”
All time favorite track? “Perception is very special to me because the original is my all time favorite dance track”
Favorite track of the moment, “ID – ID. He’s on fire.”
Favorite club in the USA? “Impossible to name just one, but Avalon, Space, Mansion, Pacha, Castle, Ruby Skye, Marquee + Echostage all amazing.”
If he could collaborate with anyone in the world alive or dead who would it be? “The original Pink Floyd lineup.”
He was asked, how PLUR are you? “I respect the hell out of anyone who takes time in their life to support me.”
How amazing was it the first time you heard one of your songs being played in a dj’s set? “It was surreal. One of my proudest moments was having my Edge Factor remix of Jayn Hanna’s Lost Without You on Expeditions.”
Was the circular stage at Pop2013 disorienting to DJ from? Did it help you interact with the crowd? “it was certainly different, but definitely a unique way to perform. Cool that you see different sets of fans on each side.”
A New World Punx album? Markus answered, “Not likely. Albums are always very stressful to make and even more so when it’s not a singular vision. Want to keep project fun”
Another track with KhoMha? “You never know what ideas we might concoct during this tour.”
Biggest triumph in the past? “I would say probably breaking the Top 100 in DJ Mag because I never expected it to happen.”
Does Markus still break dance? “I do but I can’t do the complexity of the moves that the kids do nowadays.”
Weirdest thing seen in life? “There was a period where so many go-go dancers were falling off stage at festivals. It was quite scary!”
Seattle isn’t feeling any love from the Scream Bus Tour but Markus assured the city, “making plans for Seattle in the summer, you have my word.”
That’s all for this session! Thanks to Markus for connecting with every one of us again. Make sure to use the hashtag #ScreamBusTour and of course #SchulzArmy on Twitter.
Another trance Thursday on April 4 is in the books and the Global DJ Broadcast World Tour featured was from The Terrace at Space in Miami during Winter Music Conference week. Markus was online chatting with the army and while eavesdropping we learned these 10 things:
1) The 2013 city compilation will be coming in mid-June. The city is still top secret but he will be mixing it when the Scream Bus Tour ends next month. There’s also the possibility of a new Dakota track for the compilation. He was asked about a new album but a new track will have to be acceptable.
2) As just about any musician would say after getting the chance to playing at Madison Square Garden, “It’s up there among accomplishments in my career.”
3) The SchulzArmy and trance family is massive and Markus hopes to return to Mexico this summer.
4) Serato is for time code, not mixing. Someone asked what was on his laptop in the picture and the answer was Serato. The follow up to that was, “I should stress that I’m not using Serato for DJing and mixing. I use it to send timecode to front of house so that when I am playing vocal tracks off my album, the visuals can get synced to the audio.”
5) We need teleporters! If Markus had a teleporter he’d be at Pop2013 in Oakland and A State of Trance 600 Den Bosch but as he said, “Just unfortunate they haven’t invented the teleporter where I could do Den Bosch and Oakland on the same night.” Oakland you win!
6) Ferry and Markus mesh well together, they aren’t competing. During the previous weeks broadcast that featured a 30 minute guest mix from Ferry Corsten there was a lot of criticism of Ferry. Markus addressed that writing, “I did have a read through all the comments last Friday morning. To be honest the way I look at it is that I have my own style and Ferry has his, but there are parts of it that overlap and mesh together. The thing I want to stress is that both Ferry and I will continue to be solo artists, and the NWP project will only be a small percentage of what either of us do in a year. But it’s fun when we do it together.”
7) Romper is taking over dance floors. “My heart was going a million miles a minute when we started with this on Saturday. 18. New World Punx – Romper”
8) Right now the all time undisputable rabbit hole track is ‘Nothing Matters’ by Mark Knight. He said all time would probably have to be Daft Punk – ‘Alive,’ ‘Be Yourself’ or ‘Plastic Dreams.’ Here’s a glimpse of ‘Nothing Matters’ from Toronto in September 2012.
9) EDC Vegas 2013 is close! Electric Daisy Carnival 2012 was shut down early on the second night due to high winds and it ended just as Markus was playing Loops & Tings. During the broadcast I had asked that he open his set with it to pick up where he left off and the reply was, “yeah EDC Vegas and I have unfinished business this year.” Sounds like there’s a great chance he’ll be in Vegas for Electric Daisy Carnival yet again.
10) Give vocalists the credit! A question was asked about the inspiration for lyrics, like ‘Nothing Without Me’ and ‘Caught.’ Markus replied stating, “To be honest I can’t take the credit for writing the lyrics to either of us, the respective vocalists are the ones to credit there.”
Markus Schulz (Recorded Live from The Terrace at Space in Miami – March 17th 2013)
01. Markus Schulz Presents Dakota – I’m Where it Went Wrong
02. Tucandeo – Grey Goose
03. Danilo Ercole – A Man with Two Names
04. Greg Downey Presents R.I.C.O. – Afraid of the Dark
05. Microtrauma – Reflection
06. Aerofoil vs. E&G – One Word (Markus Schulz Big Room Reconstruction)
07. Khomha – Dejavu
08. Omnia – The Light
09. Markus Schulz Featuring Sarah Howells – Tempted 10. ID (Track 10 from GDJB World Tour Johannesburg Set)
11. Dimitri Vegas, Moguai & Like Mike – Mammoth
12. Khomha – Dusk Riddles
13. Orjan Nilsen – No Saint Out of Me
14. Dannic – Clobber
15. Markus Schulz & Elevation – Finish Line
16. Digital X – Raptor
17. Ferry Corsten & Markus Schulz – Stella
18. New World Punx – Romper
19. Markus Schulz & Ferry Corsten – Loops & Tings 20. ID (Track 04 from Markus ASOT 600 Miami Set)
21. Cosmic Gate – Storm Chaser (Khomha Remix) 22. ID
23. Ashley Wallbridge & Rafael Frost vs. Tristian Garner – Overdrive Zorro (Markus Schulz Mashup)
24. Armin van Buuren vs. W&W – D# Fat
25. MKB – Katana (Markus Schulz Big Room Reconstruction)
26. Markus Schulz Featuring Ana Diaz – Nothing Without Me (Beat Service Remix)
27. Grube & Hovsepian – Trickster
28. Markus Schulz – The Spiritual Gateway 29. ID